Friday, September 01, 2006

Al Gore on The Threat to American Democracy


"The subjugation of news by entertainment seriously harms our democracy: it leads to dysfunctional journalism that fails to inform the people."

A BUZZFLASH NEWS ALERT

Remarks by Al Gore as prepared
Associated Press / The Media Center

October 5, 2005

I came here today because I believe that American democracy is in grave danger. It is no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public discourse . I know that I am not the only one who feels that something has gone basically and badly wrong in the way America's fabled "marketplace of ideas" now functions.

How many of you, I wonder, have heard a friend or a family member in the last few years remark that it's almost as if America has entered " an alternate universe"?

  • Link Here
  • No comments: